Friday, December 14, 2007

Brave union workers?

Background: Farmington Public School employees protested over the status of their contract talks. The status being they aren't getting the pay increases they want. In case they hadn't noticed, Michigan's economy is struggling just a bit. The only "solution" the Governor and legislature can come up with is higher taxes. I'm tired of it. Just because another year passes doesn't mean you get a raise. Your wage should be affected by economic conditions. I work in the highly competitive IT industry. Since the internet bubble burst in 2000, wages have not risen. I understand that. If I'm not happy with it, I can walk. And by walk I don't mean a picket line.

I have a message for the unionized school employees who “braved” a cold, rainy night to protest their wages and health insurance costs: This taxpayer is tired.

For seven years my wages have been stagnant; my health insurance costs have increased; and my income taxes have been raised. On top of that, my home’s value has plummeted and my tax assessment has risen.

Now I get to read about a bunch of unhappy public employees who regularly receive pay increases, above average health insurance benefits, and a guaranteed pension because of the government monopoly on education. Rather than face the pressures of a competitive market, these employees rely on the brute force of their “mighty” union that coerces the politicians in Lansing through campaign contributions and orchestrated protests.

The time has long since passed for Michigan to create a free market in education and eliminate the unions’ undue power by passing right-to-work legislation. Taxpayers can no longer afford the costs of refusing to take these steps.

[Letter to the Editor - Farmington Observer. Published 12/20/2007.]

1 comment:

WJR said...

Steve-

Thanks for taking the time to write to the Observer. My sense is that there are larger issues that need attention with the schools- beyond the current teachers contract.

My concern is with the total lack of transparency of the board, the hollow happy talk of the administration and the exclusion of competent community members from meaningful dialogue around the structure of public education in this time of transformational change.

There appears to be no meaningful governance over this group- that means monopolistic governmental control.

I've attended a few of their meetings and each time I leave, I have a sense that they really find it unfortunate that education involves students, families and communities. The impression I get is that they would be happy simply to collect their paychecks.

Gotta go, hope we can meet. Coffee over the holiday would be great-

Drop me a note-

William Rath
wjrath@sbcglobal.net